Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Christmas Cheer

How many of you think it's daunting to put a whole year of activities into a few paragraphs? Me too. So, I'm taking the literary license of the lazy and putting it into one unsatisfying sentence. "We've spent the last six months in the States visiting folks from one coast to the other and the previous six months doing much the same in North Africa and the Middle East only with greater forethought, internationality and purpose." Any questions? It remains a delight and a privilege to be called to this work and we look forward to repeating the latter portion of that brief 2008 summation when we return to the field in January.

The exact date of our return is, however, temporarily suspended until Dave receives medical clearance. He had two catheterizations last week (one in his heart and the other in his brain...what an adventure). He has one more catheterization and it's scheduled for January 6th. Stints will be placed in arteries where needed and then it's off to the recovery room where I will lovingly greet him with more Jell-O. Hospital time, I'm convinced, is longer than time spent anywhere else. I found myself making aimless cafeteria visits, drinking too much coffee and devouring easy 'reads'. (I should have considered my location before opening, Lemony Snicket's "A Series of Unfortunate Events". A pretty tacky title under the circumstances.)

We're really grateful to be in Ohio with our daughter, her husband and our son. It's a slice of heaven when we can all be together. It's white outside our windows with a few flakes still drifting toward a soft landing. Christmas music is filling every room and the aroma of my daughter's yummy cooking is a nice accompaniment. I'm nestled in a comfy rocker and Dave is working a puzzle. We belong on a Rockwell calendar. We're blessed.

I was reminded, in my reading this past week, that Washington crossed the Delaware on December 25th, 1776 with the code words, "Victory or Death." Thomas Paine in his account of that event and the desperate winter preceding it at Valley Forge said, "...yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph." It's not a bad rallying call for our work as well. We are remembering those who, at this moment, serve so far from friends and family and the supreme importance, immediacy, and security of their work. Medina, Ohio with all its doctor's visits and freezing cold is no Valley Forge!

The Lord has been so faithful to us in 08. He has indeed provided the sanctuary He promised us in many ways but most importantly in Himself. So, I will rehearse the verse He comforted me with in '08 as we step into '09.

"Although I have cast them far off among the heathen and though I have scattered them among the countries, yet will I be to them a little sanctuary in the countries where they shall come." Ezekiel 11:16 (NKJ)


All His richest blessings in Jesus be yours as we await His appearing once again, Sara - for Dave too

No comments: